March 18 hearing on County’s motion to dismiss Wallace et al lawsuit
March 18, 2022 —
Judge Stephen Walker of the 12th Circuit Court of Sarasota held an hour-long hearing where lawyers for the opposing sides presented their arguments regarding Sarasota County’s motion to dismiss the Wallace et al lawsuit. Judge Walker will provide a written ruling at an unspecified date.
March 15, 2022 —
On Friday, March 18, 2022 at 2:30 pm, a public hearing is scheduled to hear arguments on Sarasota County’s motion to dismiss the Wallace et al lawsuit. This lawsuit challenges the recent County decisions regarding two proposed hotels on Siesta Key. Judge Stephen Walker of the 12th Circuit Court of Sarasota will host the hearing via Zoom . The public may attend via Zoom. Click here for Zoom link and instructions.
Following are recent and future activities regarding the legal actions against Sarasota County’s approval of two large hotels on Siesta Key:
Ramirez Litigation –
- In a second action, Ramirez filed a petition with the Florida Department of Economic Opportunity to determine whether the Sarasota BOCC decisions regarding two hotels on Siesta Key are consistent with the Sarasota Comprehensive Plan.
- Unknown date, magistrate hearing to consider a motion seeking court approval for the owners and developers of the hotel planned on Calle Miramar to intervene
- March 27, 2023, begin anticipated 5-day trial
Wallace et all Litigation –
- The court allowed the owners and developers of the hotels planned on Calle Miramar and Stickney Point to intervene
- March 18, 2022 – hour-long hearing, via Zoom, starting at 2:30 p.m. on Friday, March 18, to hear arguments on Sarasota County’s motion to dismiss the lawsuit.
- June 12, 2023, begin trial, length of trial unknown
Sarasota News Leader, February 25, 2022, Rachel Brown Hackney: Siesta resident takes second approach in challenging County Commission approval of hotel on Calle Miramar
Sarasota News Leader, February 17, 2022, Rachel Brown Hackney: Circuit Court judge rules that developers of two hotels planned on Siesta Key may intervene in lawsuit filed by 2 island residents and 2 homeowners associations
Sarasota News Leader, January 28, 2022, Rachel Brown Hackney: June 12, 2023 start set for second trial involving legal challenges to high-rise hotels approved for Siesta Key
Sarasota News Leader, January 20, 2022, Rachel Brown Hackney: Trial date set for Ramirez’s challenge to County Commission approval of hotel on Calle Miramar on Siesta Key